Monday, September 20, 2010

Wild fire

All of these pictures were taken from our front yard. The fire started at Camp Williams yesterday around 3:30. It spread to the top of our mountain about 7:30 and we watched it creep closer all evening. It looked like a volcano with lava coming down. I wish the pictures I had taken after dark had turned out, these pictures just don't do it justice. The fire went all the way from our mountain to the cove. Several miles long. The flames were so high, easily 200 ft. A spark would catch lower down the mountain and then burn it's way up to meet the rest of the flames. Half of our ward had a mandatory evacuation. Everything south of Emmeline. (about 10 houses up the street) We packed up the trailer and everything important to us. We finally decided to leave at 12:30 am and camped in the Walmart parking lot. What a long night! Horrible nightmares. I hardly slept at all. I heard that our street was evacuated later during the night. We returned this morning and the fire is under control. You can see in today's pictures how far down the flames got. We're sure that we're fine, but we're still keeping our fingers crossed that it doesn't cross into the gully and come towards us. All that brush is so dry and it's right next to our backyard. Woo hoo for the fantastic firefighters!!! Only four homes were lost and it could have been so much worse!






1 comment:

Sunny said...

That is so scary. I'm glad you are all ok!